Chrono Trigger is heading to PC through Steam as it recently received a store page on Steam. This announcement was completely unexpected so it is more likely that Square Enix will share official details about it soon.
Chrono Trigger is a timeless classic game that originally launched for SNES. The game has been available on a other platforms including the Nintendo GBA and PlayStation 1. This release will make it the first time the game is officially playable on PC.
The steam store page can be accessed here (via Lashman) and shows the game launching today. It also includes Steam achievements so this confirms it is indeed a new release for the game with official support.
The store listing confirms it comes with certain ‘upgrades’ but no details about it aside from graphics.
The timeless RPG classic returns loaded with upgrades! Journey to the forgotten past, to the far future, and to the end of time.
Graphics and sound
While keeping the atmosphere of the original, the graphics have been updated in higher resolution. As for the sound and music, under the supervision of composer Yasunori Mitsuda, all songs have been updated for an even more immersive gameplay experience.
Here are the system requirements as listed on Steam.
- OS: Windows 7/8/8.1/10 (32bit/64bit)
- Processor: Intel Core i3 2.3GHz
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: INTEL HD Graphics 530
- Storage: 2 GB available space
- Additional Notes: Supported resolutions: 800×600, 1024×768, 1280×960, 1280×720, 1360×768, 1600×900, 1920×1080 . Full Controller Support except if you wish to rename characters.Full Controller Support except if you wish to rename characters in a non-Roman alphabet and Japanese characters.
Chrono Trigger was a project by Square Soft before the release of Final Fantasy VI. It is considered one of the greatest JRPG of all time so it should be interesting to see how the PC version holds up against other versions of the game.