Firewatch’s latest update is now live on the PS4. This update aims to fix the several performance issues for the game on PS4 along with improved draw distance.
Campo Santo has shared the full patch notes in details on their official development blog, which you can read below.
- Draw distance and shadow render distance have been improved, which should remove significant texture popping.
- Streaming loading and unloading has been significantly adjusted with extra safeties so you should no longer see loading happen right in front of you.
- We got Unity to fix a very rare hang that could occur when loading and unloading scenes.
- Many instances of unstable framerate have been improved.
- Auto-saves are now far less frequent, as they were causing the worst framerate hitches we have been seeing.
- Several places where people were escaping the world or getting stuck in collision have been refined. Also, if you are stuck in an endlessly falling state, the game will attempt to put you back, either through loading the last save or respawning Henry aboveground.
- Various cases where you were able to interrupt or break your current quest have been safeguarded.
Firewatch is currently available for Steam and PS4. It was developed by Campo Santo, which is a brand new independent development studio. The game was coded in Unity Game Engine, which appears to have some performance issues on the PS4. The developers are currently considering upgrading to a better version of Unity to improve the performance even further.
If you have purchased Firewatch and noticed improved performance after latest update, let us know in the comments below.