- CCleaner: Your beginner’s guide to using the advanced cleanup tool
- No Browser Functionality Without The Day One Update On PS4 and More
- DICE Tweaks Suppression In The Battlefield 4 Community Test Environment
- SCEE’s Shahid Ahmad On Vita: 60 Games In Pipeline; “No End In Sight” For Games In The Future
- Rumor: Sony To Make Two Game Announcements At E3 That Will Shock Old/New Gamers
VLC Media player is a popular free media player that is nearly used by everyone these days. Sporting a lightweight size along with the ability to playback almost all the media formats, VLC Media Player has become one of the fastest and best media players.
A programmer on VLC’s team, Jean-Baptiste Kempf, wrote in his blog post about the readiness of VLC for Windows Runtime or WinRT port. Surprisingly his list also contained Xbox One which many give a hint that the VLC Media Player app might make an appearance on the Xbox One very soon. Since Xbox One’s dashboard and UI are very similar to Windows 8′s Metro style UI, porting the VLC Media Player using WinRT won’t be difficult and that the next major update of VLC Media Player might bring the app to Xbox One.
So, here is an update about our port on WinRT platforms.
I now sayWinRT platforms, but that means:
- Windows 8/8.1 ModernUIMetro
- Windows Phone 8
- XBox One? (who knows?)
One major thing about VLC Media Player is that it can playback the popular .mkv files. Xbox One, on its own, cannot playback .mkv files natively but if VLC Media Player pops up on the Xbox One then we can be sure that the .mkv file compatibility will be present on the Xbox One and with the app it would be able to play .mkv files natively, without any streaming from any PC or app.
Stay tuned with us as we bring you more information as the story develops.