Capcom has officially released updated Resident Evil series sales figure. According to these figures, Resident Evil 5 is now the highest selling Resident Evil game from Capcom surpassing the Vanilla version of Street Fighter 2. Both of them have sold 6.5 to 6.3 million units respectively. Meanwhile, Resident Evil 6 slowed to a crawl after its record breaking opening and has only managed to sell 5.2 million units. Capcom blames the poor word of mouth for the weaker legs of Resident Evil 6.
Take a look below at how each entry in Resident Evil series has sold so far(Only counts >= 1 million entries)
- Resident Evil 5 (6.5 million)
- Resident Evil 6 (5.2 million)
- Resident Evil 2 (4.96 million)
- Resident Evil 3 (3.5 million)
- Resident Evil 1 (2.75 million – 1.2 million Dualshock version, 1.13 million Director’s Cut)
- Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (2.3 million)
- Resident Evil 4 (2.3 million PS2, 1.9 million Wii, 1.6 million GameCube)
- Resident Evil Outbreak (1.45 million)
- Resident Evil Code Veronica (1.4 million PS2, 1.14 million Dreamcast)
- Resident Evil 1: Remake (1.35 million)
- Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (1.3 million)
- Resident Evil Zero (1.25 million)
- Resident Evil Revelations (1 million)
Resident Evil is definitely a big franchise for Capcom. Recently, a linkedin profile leaked that work on Resident Evil 7 has already began and development might be well underway for it. Resident Evil 6 did hint at a potential sequel but considering the reception it got was bad, it remains to be seen if Capcom will continue with it or reboot the series entirely.