Devil May Cry series has always been popular among the fans, however it has been in a rather bad shape since it was rebooted by a different developer under Capcom. The fans were rather frustrated over the numerous design changes for the Devil May Cry reboot that took the series in a completely different direction, however now a new rumor points at the series returning back to its classic roots just like Resident Evil 7.
The rumor comes from a fan of the Devil May Cry series who posted about it on the resetERA forums giving a detailed description of what to expect from the project. This also coincides with the numerous rumors of the game being announced this year, however it hasn’t been officially revealed as of yet.
A brand new Devil May Cry game might not be as big of a secret because of the fact that the 2015 release of the Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition contained a tease for a potential new game in the ending. This was further hinted by the series producer Hidetaki Itsuno who was excited to share his new project in 2017. Itsuno later apologized that he wasn’t able to share his project so far however he wanted the fans to wait just a little longer. Considering that the two major projects that Itsuno is known for is the Devil May Crys series and Dragon’s Dogma, the former of which has just been released as a HD Remaster for the PS4 and Xbox One, it is highly unlikely he is working on a sequel for it to be announced this year.
The game has also been rumored to be a timed exclusive and planned to launch in Fiscal Year 2019 for Capcom, which points towards a release between April 2018 and March 2019. Here are some details about it.
- The game is slated to release some time in the fiscal calendar year of 2019. That means sometime between April 2018 and March 2019. Original plan was to release it in November 2018 but the date MIGHT have been pushed back to early 2019.
- Originally DMCV was intended to be announced at PSX but after receiving feedback on their E3 press conference, Sony decided to scale back on PSX and instead scale up E3 2018. DMCV was an unfortunate casualty of this choice and thus it’s unlikely that DMCV gets officially revealed in 2017.
- There will be a demo for the game sometime before release.
- Game has been in development for 2 years as of today. When it will release it will have been in development for 3 years at least. That is actually the highest time a DMC game has been in full production for. Pre-production started as early as 2015 around the time that DMC4SE finished releasing. There have been no development hiccups and as stated, the development has in fact been progressing smoothly.
- There is some form of Playstation exclusivity involved. Sony is paying for some of the funding for the game but the extent of it is not known. Could be completely PS4 exclusive, console exclusive or timed exclusive. If the game is announced publicly then it will be at a Sony event, which is why many people thought that it was going to be at PSX.
You can read more including leaks on the gameplay and story on the original thread posted at resetERA. Take with a grain of salt though since nothing has been confirmed about it and it is all speculation at this point.