Epic Games has detailed the upcoming Fortnite update for both of its gameplay modes: Save the World and Battle Royale. They are also introducing a new mode to the Battle Royale section of the game offering 20 players in a team. This mode is basically a 20 vs. 20 Battle Royale mode divided among 5 teams.
The full set of patch notes can be read in detail over Epic Games while you can get a glimpse of what to expect from the new Battle Royale mode below.
- Limited Time Mode: Teams of 20
- Each team is composed of five squads of four players.
- All teammates will be displayed in green on the map.
- The Map screen now shows total number of players alive on each team.
- Increased chances of treasure chests spawning from 50-70% to 60-80%.
- Increased chances of ammo boxes spawning from 65-80% to 75-90%.
- Supply Drops always come in batches of 5 instead of varying amounts per Storm Circle. Supply Drop rate increased from 180 (+/- 30s) to 210 (+/- 30s).
- Teams of 20 has six Storm Circles as opposed to nine. Maximum match length is 23 minutes, down from 25.
- Storm Circle Timings:
- Storm Circle 1: Random location. 60s wait, 180s shrink time.
- Storm Circle 2: Random location. 60s wait, 90s shrink time.
- Storm Circle 3: Location centered on previous storm (for the rest of the match). 120s wait, 90s shrink time.
- Storm Circle 4: 120s wait, 60s shrink.
- Storm Circle 5: 180s wait, 60s shrink.
- Storm Circle 6: 240s wait, 120s shrink.
- Players will get elimination credit for forced fall damage either through Impulse Grenades or destroying structures underneath their enemies.
- Breaking the base of a structure will count the same as breaking the exact piece a player is standing on before they fall.
- Riding a rocket no longer cancels emotes or using consumables.
- Lobby emotes will now play out instead of just ending at 5 seconds.
Fortnite Battle Royale is free to play on all consoles. It recently received an update that added support for 60 fps as well.