God of War is perhaps unique in that sense that it will allow you to unlock new content once you are done with the main story. This content can be accessed after the end game although you can technically still attempt some of it from the main story including the Valkyrie boss fights. It is still one of the most challenging quests to tackle in God of War so if you are ready to tackle them, it is best to come prepared for it.
The post game content in God of War ranges from a fight with the Valkyrie Queen which is done after killing the 8 Valkyries and then getting their helmets to a special place. In addition to this, you can also unlock two new realms, Muspelheim and Niflheim.
Unlock Post Game Content In Niflheim And All New Rewards
First to unlock Niflheim, you will need to find all the 4 ciphers for the seal of Niflheim. Once you have done so, you can get to this realm featuring a Valkyrie and a special location called the Ivaldi’s Workshop that has 10 areas with challenges that need to be completed. It also requires a special currency called Mist Echoes which can be used here to get new items from Blacksmith Sindri. There is a good guide on the rewards for the 10 areas along with a map for it on reddit.
Ivaldi’s Workshop Map And Area Guide
* It has 10 areas that change what’s in them and a Central Chamber which contains the tears and chest you’ll need to unlock if you want the Darkness and Fog trophy.
* The Central Chamber needs a key that you can ask Sindri to make at the cost of 500 Mist Echoes.
* Mist Echoes can be gotten from chests in the workshop and you’ll have to enter a Safe Area to save them. You’ll lose the echoes you’ve gain in the workshop if you die.
* You’ll have to kill all the enemies in the Encounter Area to interact with the chests there.
* Between each area is a short corridor with a random trap (with the exemption of the Entrance, Area 1, and the Central Chamber), Walls that can crush you (instant kill) or Spinning Blades (these don’t instantly kill you).
* The short corridor between areas can have chest spawns, so check them out.
* Nornir Chests can spawn in Areas 2, 4, 6, 8. The seal bells to unlock them will always be in the same area as the chest. The seal totems for the Nornir Chest that spawns in Area 1 only appear in Encounter Areas.
* The 3 realm tears in the Central Chamber will require 10,000, 15,000, 20,000 Mist Echoes and an Anchor of Fog each (so 3 Anchor of Fog total). Anchor of Fog can be gotten from Legendary Chests in the workshop. Listing the enemies you’ll fight and rewards you’ll get from the tears.
10,000 Mist Echoes realm tear – 3 Ogres (Gift of Apollo, Blades of Chaos Heavy Runic Attack, Temporarily enhances the Blades of Chaos so that every hit gives Kratos a small amount of health)
15,000 Mist Echoes realm tear – 2 Revenants, if there are other enemies, I forgot about them (Talisman of Cursed Power, Unleash a wave of Cursed Mist that instantly WEAKENS all surrounding enemies by lowering their overall Stats)
20,000 Mist Echoes realm tear – 1 Soul Devourer and respawning Wulvers, you just need to kill the Soul Devourer to finish the fight (Misbourne, Axe Pommel, Low Perk activation chance to grant Healing Mist on any successful hit. Healing Mist regenerates Health and increases RUNIC)
*There are 5 Legendary chests you have to unlock in order to get the trophy Darkness and Fog. Cost and items gotten below.
1000 Mist Echoes chest – Perfect Artifact of the Blight (you can also get these from enemy drops in the workshop or craft them), perk activation to restore the duration you can stay in the mist.
2000 Mist Echoes chest – Eye of Niflheim, Enchantment, Greatly increases resistance to the Cursed Mist of Niflheim.
5000 Mist Echoes chest – Chilling Mist, trade these for a Frozen Flame to upgrade your Leviathan Axe
7500 Mist Echoes chest – Blightbringer, Axe Pommel, Low Perk activation chance to strike with an explosive curse that inflicts WEAKEN to enemies on any successful hit
7500 Mist Echoes chest – Blightguard, Blades Pommel, Low Perk activation chance to strike with an explosive curse that inflicts WEAKEN to enemies on any successful hit
Unlock Post Game Content In Muspelheim And All New Rewards
Just like Niflheim, you will be required to get all the Ciphers in order to unlock the seal for Muspelheim. It has a Valkyrie boss fight in addition to a set of trials just like it was the case with Niflheim. In the start, you will have to attempt the following trials.
- Trial I: Time Attack (Normal) – Kill enemies before time runs out
- Trial I: Resurrection (Hard) – Kill enemies in quick succession or they’ll respawn
- Trial II: Survival (Normal) – Survive for 5 minutes
- Trial II: Stunner (Hard) – Enemies quickly regenerate health, use stun kills to kill them
- Trial III: Shield Breaker (Normal) – Kill grunts to break the Elite’s shield, an elite enemy will be in the area which will be invulnerable to damage unless it’s alone
- Trial III: Kill Location Challenge (Hard) – Kill enemies while they are inside the gold rings, 3 waves with a time limit
- Trial IV: 100 Enemy Challenge (Normal) – Defeat 100 enemies
- Trial IV: Protector (Hard) – Don’t let enemies capture Atreus, you’ll fail if Atreus gets grabbed 3 times
- Trial V: Time slips away… (Normal) – Kill enemies to increase time
- Trial V: Untouchable (Hard) – Avoid taking damage
Once you are done with them, you will have to fight and kill the Valkyrie boss here in order to attempt the final set of trials.
- Trial I: Untouchable (Impossible) – Avoid taking damage
- Trial II: Time Attack (Impossible) – Kill enemies before time runs out
- Trial III: Kill Location Challenge (Impossible) – Kill enemies while they are inside the gold rings
- Trial IV: Stunner (Impossible) – Enemies quickly regenerate health, use stun kills to kill them
- Trial V: Time slips away… (Impossible) – Kill enemies to increase time
- Trial VI: Gauntlet (Impossible) – Defeat all enemies (it says that, but you just need to survive and probably kill a minimum number of enemies)
Once you are done with the following extra quests, you can try to tackle the Valkyrie Queen fight provided you have the necessary weapon, armor and stat upgrades that should be needed before you can tackle it.