Plex is a multimedia streaming application and media server that is currently available for the PS4 and Xbox One. The advantage of Plex is that it allows the user to stream their media content with a variety of features and essentially allows them to be added in a library in an organised form with screenshots, posters and subtitles downloaded automatically for user convenience.
In case you weren’t aware of the latest changes, Plex is now available free of cost on the PS4 and Xbox One. While the application was downloadable for free on both platforms, there was no way to use it to stream content unless the users bought Plex Pass subscription. This has been removed so anyone can now download the application and Stream their media content from PC to their PS4 and Xbox One.
Follow the steps listed below to setup Plex on your PC.
- Download and install the latest version of Plex Media Server from here.
- After installing and running the media server, right click on the Plex icon in the task bar and select “Media Manager”.
- Click on the “+” icon in the top left corner to add new folders for your media files.
- Select the type of media that you want to add e.g Select TV Shows if you want to add TV seasons to the library.
- Plex will automatically scan all the folders and organize the media with their respective posters/screenshots.
How to automatically download subtitles for movies/tv shows using Plex
- To download subtitles automatically using Plex, you will need an account on OpenSubtitles.org. It is free to sign up.
- Open Plex Media Manager in your PC browser and click on the Settings icon in the top right corner.
- Click on the Servers tab and go to the Agents category.
- Under the Movies tab, click on freebase and make sure that the OpenSubtitles.org agent is ticked.
- Click on the settings icon for OpenSubtitles.org user agent and enter your username and password.
- Drag and drop the OpenSubtitles.org agent to the first place in the user agent list.
- Repeat the same steps for the TV Shows tab.
Once you have setup Plex on your PC, all you need to do on PS4 and Xbox One is to install it from their respective marketplace. Once you have installed the application on your console, you will be prompted to enter a pass code on your PC. Once it is done, the application will be linked to your PC and you can stream all the media from PC to your PS4 and Xbox One, even the media files that are not supported on both platforms.
Let us know what you think about this guide in the comments below.