Each month, we get sales result of the console/handheld hardware and software from NPD. This time, NPD sales result for the month of January 2015 are out.
Dying Light seems to be the new release which has topped the sales chart for the month of January. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Grand Theft Auto V remain close behind at the 2nd and 3rd spot respectively. Check out the full list of the top ten sellers below.
- Dying Light (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One ,PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- NBA 2K15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Super Smash Bros. (Wii U, 3DS)
- Far Cry 4 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Madden NFL 15 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Destiny (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- FIFA 15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, Wii, Vita, 3DS)
On the hardware front, PlayStation 4 was the best selling hardware in the month of January followed by Xbox One. Microsoft noted that this was the best selling January for Xbox One, improving its sales performance year over year.
More software was sold on Xbox One than on PlayStation 4 despite the difference in the install base for both consoles. Overall, software sales were up year over year but hardware sales were down, most likely due to the lower sale price of Xbox One ($500 vs. $350).
It should be interesting to see how both consoles hold up in the coming months.
Let us know what you think about the sales result in the comments below.