Marvel’s Spider-Man has done great so far with a record-setting 3.3 million copies sold on the PS4, but there is more to the story.
NPD analyst Matt Piscatella has shared some interesting comments on the sales result of Marvel’s Spider-Man for the month of September 2018. This is the launch month for Spider-Man while the tracking period also covers Forza Horizon 4 since it ends on October 6th. Keep in mind that Forza Horizon 4 launched early with an Ultimate Edition while the regular launch was October 2nd.
- Marvel’s Spider-Man achieved launch month sales 37 percent higher than the combined launch month sales of all other Spider-Man games released since The NPD Group began tracking in 1995.
- Marvel’s Spider-Man generated higher dollars sales in its launch than any other game this year and currently ranks as the third best-selling game of 2018, and the #8 best-selling game over the last 12 months.
- Marvel’s Spider-Man, the best-selling game of September, achieved the highest launch month dollar sales for any PlayStation exclusive in history, and is the seventh largest launch ever achieved by any game on any PlayStation platform.
PS4 was the top selling system for the month of September 2018. Sales of the PS4 Slim were the biggest contributor to the number in both dollar and number of units sold.
Regarding Forza Horizon 4, it ended up being the best selling entry in the history of the franchise during its launch month, which is incredible result all things considered.
- Forza Horizon 4 achieved the highest launch month dollar sales in Forza franchise history, and is the biggest launch for a racing game on any Xbox platform in history. Forza Horizon 4 was the seventh best-selling game of September.
- Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey appears at #3 on the Sept charts with double-digit % dollar sales growth when compared to the launch of Assassin’s Creed: Origins a year ago. Assassin’s Creed: Origins now ranks as the 6th best-selling game over the past 12 months.
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider enters the charts as the fifth best-selling game of September, achieving the second highest launch month dollar sales for the franchise following only Tomb Raider, which launched in 2013.
As for the rest, here is the sales result for the month of September 2018 as shared by NPD analyst Matt Piscatella.
US NPD SW – Charts pic.twitter.com/PdKqYek0kS
— Mat Piscatella (@MatPiscatella) October 23, 2018
Despite such heavy competition for September, it appears that most of the games that launched during this time frame have done rather well which is only a good thing for the industry since they were mostly single-player games.