Sony has officially updated the PS3 firmware to 4.66. This is a mandatory firmware update which is required to be able to connect online on the PlayStation 3. The PS Vita and PlayStation 4 received a brand new update last month and now it seems to be the turn of the PlayStation 3.
In case you want to download this update, you can download it online from here. It is about 44 MB in size, which is rather small for a firmware update.
To update it through USB, follow the instructions below.
- Downlod the update file from the official PlayStation website.
- Create a new folder on the root of your USB drive, rename it to PS3.
- Create another folder inside the PS3 folder, rename it to Update.
- Rename the Update file to PS3Updat.pup and copy to the update folder.
- On your PS3, go to Settings > System Update and select “Update via Storage Media”.
We will update this article once a changelog is available for this update.
Update: PlayStation EU Community Manager Chris Owen has revealed the changelog, which is just pointing towards a simple stability update.
System software stability during use of some features has been improved.
Have you updated to this latest firmware? Let us know in the comments below.