Rockstar Games has announced a record opening for Read Dead Redemption 2, hanging just behind Grand Theft Auto V.
In a press, release, Rockstar Games confirmed that Red Dead Redemption 2 has a sell-through revenue of $725 Million, which is just behind Grand Theft Auto V with $1 Billion. It was the second highest sales record in the entertainment industry above even mega blockbusters like Avengers: Infinity War.
Here is the official statement shared by Rockstar in a press release.
Rockstar Games® is proud to announce that the critically acclaimed Red Dead Redemption 2 has achieved the single-biggest opening weekend in the history of entertainment*. With over $725 million in worldwide retail sell-through during its first three days, Red Dead Redemption 2 is the second-highest grossing entertainment launch of all time next to Rockstar Games’ previously released title, Grand Theft Auto V, which achieved over $1 billion in retail sell-through in three days.
Red Dead Redemption 2’s list of initial benchmarks include:
- Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
- Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases;
- Biggest entertainment launch of 2018;
- Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network;
- Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network;
- Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network.
This is an impressive record all things considered. Grand Theft Auto V is just massive but the brand is also more strong and known than Red Dead Redemption 2.