Batman: Arkham series developers Rocksteady is rumored to be tackling the Justice League as their next game.
In the past few months we’ve been hearing a lot of rumors about Rocksteady’s next project which they’ve previously confirmed to not be another Batman game. There were rumors for a while that they were doing a Superman game, but apparently that was cancelled due to problems with development.
In a 4Chan post today some interesting information was revealed that suggests that Rocksteady Studios is now working on a Justice League game for PC, Xbox Scarlett and PS5.
Below is the summary of what the post said:
- Possible titles – Justice League: Crisis, Justice League: New Crisis, Justice League: Infinite Crisis. Seems they haven’t settled on a title yet, but they have a new staple in Crisis. Kind of like how Arkham was to their Batman series.
- Developer – Rocksteady
- Systems – Xbox Scarlett/PS5/PC. You’ll hear more details on Xbox’s new system later this year with a full reveal early 2019. PS5 will be announced in early 2019 as well.
- Type – Single Player/Co-op. You can switch between characters like in Arkham Knight. The campaign can be played both ways, but there’s also a different game mode catered to multiplayer. Also, it’s GaaS, so expect a ton of DLC content. They’re gonna have something similar to Hitman with episodic DLC.
- Characters – Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash(Pretty sure it’s Wally), Green Lantern(Hal), Cyborg, Aquaman.
- Cities – Metropolis, Gotham, Keystone(why I said it’s probably Wally), more others through DLC. Each city is a bit bigger than AK, and just as detailed.
- Villains – Main big bad is Starro. As the episodic stuff rolls out you’ll see Brainiac and even Darkseid.
- Story – All the heroes are pretty early on in their careers. Batman’s still considered an urban legend to anyone outside of Gotham, Superman isn’t the “world protector” yet, and WW is still on Themyscira. Aquaman’s still in the sea, GL is in space, and Wally isn’t even a hero yet.
- Gameplay – From what I hear, it plays just like the Arkham games, except more refined and “opened up”. Guessing that’s for the heroes that can fly and such.
- DLC – A lot of the DLC will have new cities and new playable characters. Green Arrow, Hawkgirl, Martian Manhunter and probably a lot more. They’re expecting this game to last for years, so I wouldn’t be surprised if this game ended up being like Destiny in the sense that it gets updated constantly.
Now we all know to take every rumor you hear nowadays with a grain of salt but there’s certainly some backing to some of the things mentioned here.
The rumor suggests that the game’s main villain will be Starro, well the character was teased in an Easter Egg during Batman: Arkham Knight’s Batgirl: A Matter of Family DLC:
Starro is also the first villain faced by the Justice League of America in the comics, so according to rumor, since in the game the Justice League is apparently in its very initial stages, Starro could be the canonical starter villain from the comics.
On the matter of the game’s name, the domain justiceleaguecrisis.com has been registered and updated last year by Warner Bros.
Rocksteady has been hiring new blood for months now, specifically for “next-gen”, building up teams of network coders, multiplayer testers and “GaaS” managers.
Rocksteady’s next project is expected to be announced next year, between Q1 2019 or E3.