Shin Megami Tensei V was unveiled in January 2017 during Nintendo’s Switch reveal when they showed off new games from partners. Little has been seen or heard about the game ever since but the game’s producer Kazuyuki Yamai, who directed SMTIV previously, came forth to clarify the situation.
Yamai confirmed in an interview that the game is still indeed in development and “mostly everything” is running on the Switch hardware:
- We’re working hard on it. Yes, it really is in development. (Laughs.)
- Mostly everything, from existing demons to new characters, is currently running on the hardware.
- We’re making a game with content appropriate for a numbered title and without any compromises.
- We’ll share an update when time is ripe, so please wait a little longer.
- We’re constantly considering a port or remake of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. We’re thinking we want to watch for an opportunity.
The last tidbit about Nocturne has me the most excited as its one of my favorite games and considered by many to be one of the best RPGs of all time. Nocturne is the third entry in the mainline Shin Megami Tensei series and was released for the PS2 back in 2004 in the West.
Yamai worked as the director of the Maniax version of the game which came with extra features and as a writer so its definitely understandable that he wants to bring it back. I got my fingers crossed!
Shin Megami Tensei V is currently in development for the Nintendo Switch and does not have a release date.