Square Enix has detailed the difference between Star Ocean 5 on the PS3 and PS4. According to Square Enix, the biggest difference will be in term of the resolution and frame rate. PS4 version of the game will run at native 1080p and 60 fps while the PS3 version will run at 720p and 30 fps. In addition to the resolution difference, there is also difference in texture quality, resolution and quality of the animation between the PS3 and PS4 version of the game.
You can get the full rundown on the difference between the PS3 and PS4 version below, courtesy of Gematsu.
- Game Contents – The same across both platforms.
- Cross-Save – Not supported.
- Feature Differences – Share features and PS Vita Remote Play supported on PlayStation 4. Not supported on PlayStation 3.
- Frame Rate – 60fps (some parts vary) on PlayStation 4. 30 fps (some parts vary) on PlayStation 3.
- Resolution – 1080p on PlayStation 4. 720p on PlayStation 3.
- Graphics – PS4: finer physics processing, characters, backgrounds, effects, and such, and objects and monsters at a distance are displayed on-screen. PS3: some expressions are reduced and simplified, and objects and monsters at a distance are not displayed on-screen.
Star Ocean 5 is set to release on the PS3 and PS4 in Japan in Spring 2016. The game is being developed by tri-ace interactive and published by Square Enix. There is no word yet on a release date for the Western version but expect to hear about it once the game is out in Japan.