According to famed Final Fantasy composer, Nobou Uematsu, Final Fantasy VII Remake missed its original release date.
In a recent interview with Edamame Arcade, an interesting instance took place where something Uematsu says was censored out. Not the standard beep kind either, this was a full on black strip on lips type thing.
The interview had three of most notable names connected to Final Fantasy; Hironobu Sakaguchi, Yoshinori Kitase and Nobuo Uematsu, sit down to talk about their experience working on the series. It’s a really interesting interview, which if you’re a fan of the series, should be really enjoyable to watch, it’s attached at the end of this article.
Uematsu was on a concert tour performing music from Final Fantasy VII before he announced last month that he was taking an indefinite leave due deteriorating health conditions. Uematsu noted:
From composing new works to holding concerts around the world, my days have been hectic, yet fulfilling,
The resulting fatigue, however, has finally caught up with me, and I find it mentally and physically difficult to go on at my current pace.
The concert featured a few new and re-arranged tracks from the game, which led many to believe that Uematsu had finished if not done most of his work for Final Fantasy VII Remake.
In the interview Uematsu was asked why he was doing this concert tour for Final Fantasy VII, to which Uematsu replied with “This year…” followed by a long censor bar:
This was followed by Sakaguchi and Kitase hilariously holding up the X sign, indicating that Uematsu wasn’t supposed to say that.
Kitase further mentions that Uematsu had said this before during a recent concert causing it to go viral. After doing a bit of research, Japanese fans were discussing this when Uematsu mentioned an interesting tidbit during a concert back in May which could very well be Final Fantasy VII Remake’s original release date.
— YUU (@RebirthTerra) May 15, 2018
Uematsu stated that Final Fantasy VII Remake may come out this year i.e 2018. Which means as we’re almost finishing 2018 and there’s no new talk of Final Fantasy VII Remake, it will be missing it’s original intended release date.
Moments later in the interview Kitase mentioned that it would “break the Internet” if he said “that” here:
The last time something like that happened for me personally when Final Fantasy VII was announced at E3 2015. A release date certainly would be big. Plus if it was something else of not much important, they wouldn’t go through all that effort to censor it. There’s probably someone from Square Enix’s PR team in the room to control the situation but Uematsu is such a loose cannon, I love it!
Final Fantasy VII Remake will be a “Multi-part” series as the story is of simply too large a scale to fit in a single modern game. The game was absent at E3 2018 as usual but the game’s Director Tetsuya Nomura confirmed that the game is in full development. Square Enix was previously helped with development by third-party studio CyberConnect2, but later on the full development of the game was moved in-house with the previous version of the game being “rebooted”.
Here’s the full interview as promised:
Final Fantasy VII Remake is currently in development for the PS4.